Follow these instructions for setting up your signature in Gmail:
- In Google Chrome or Safari (not Firefox), copy the most appropriate email address format from these examples on the page linked above. Your selection should begin with the red bar across the top and end with the link for smumn.edu, or the links for social media accounts if you plan to use them.
- Go into your Gmail Settings menu. (Click the gear symbol in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, then select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.) Scroll down to the signature box. Select everything that is currently in the signature box and delete it.
Paste the new sample signature that you copied earlier. Replace the placeholder text with your own information, being careful to maintain the same styling.
- If you’re using a signature that contains any links, be sure to replace the placeholders with working links. Only use official Saint Mary’s social media accounts (the Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs Facebook page, the university’s YouTube channel, and so on). To replace links, highlight the text you want to link and click the “Link” icon in the signature box styling panel. Follow Gmail’s instructions to add and test your links.
- Please follow the Email Signature templates as provided and avoid using personalized quotes or other content within or below your email signature.
- When you’re done entering information in the signature box, check the box below that reads, “Insert this signature before quoted text in replies and remove the ‘–‘ line that precedes it.”
- Hit “Save Changes” at the bottom of the Settings page. Send a test email to yourself and a few people you know well. See if they encounter any problems.